Monday, May 2, 2016

Shamu Splash 🐋💦💦💦💦

Greetings from New York!

Hey you guys! How are you all doing? I'm doing well. This week was awesome.

We were walking down the street one day in Batavia. We were going to a
house where we had made a solid contact before. On our way, we saw all
these kids outside hangin out. As we were walking by, one of them
called out to us, "hey! You wanna see us dance?" I said, "sure!" He
nodded to his friend to pull up some music on his phone. I felt like I
was in a little rap/dance off movie. As one of the other kids was
pulling up some music on his phone, the kid (I later found out that
his name was Nate) looked back at us and said, "what do y'all do?" We
said, "we are missionaries!" He looked confused and then one of the
other kids nudged him and said, "They talk about Jesus!" He turned
back to us and asked, "oh! Y'all talk about Jesus?!" We nodded and he
nodded. Then the music started. He had some moves! He was gettin jiggy
wit it! #WordToWillSmith okay maybe gettin jiggy wit it is a little
out dated. Gettin jiggy wit it is more for when you're talkin about my
Dad's disco dancin back in his day (with his Afro) ;) love you dad.
Anyways, he was pretty good! When he finished dancing, I pulled out
some pass along cards and they flocked around me. They all wanted
pictures of Jesus. So we gave them each two. They loved us. I told
them that with their parents permission, they could call the number on
the back and order a free Book of Mormon or on the other card, they
could order a free copy of Finding Faith in Christ (a sweet little
video). They got all excited and we left. As we were leaving, I
challenged them to dance off. The next day, we got a referral from
headquarters. They said some kid had called and wanted a Book of
Mormon and a DVD. It was the same kids! No one ever calls the number
on the back of the card! Haha. It was so sweet. When we went back,
Nate saw us walking up the street and he walked up to us with his
entourage (Chase, Anterico, Mario). They were all pointing at him and
saying, "he's ready for the dance off!" I totally forgot haha so I
changed the subject real quick. They're awesome and love talking to
us. We have to get permission from their parents to be able to teach
them though.

Another cool experience this week. We were walking down Main Street in
Batavia. We saw a guy who looked homeless and who we thought we had
talked to before. We hurried up to him and it turns out it wasn't
General Dan (the super crazy guy we know). Elder Stokes asked him how
he was liking the rain. The guy just startled stuttering and mumbling
on and on about the Cherokees, the Jews, and something else. I really
couldn't understand him. He would say, "uh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh
duh duh duh duh duh Cherokee uh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh 5
different launguages uh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh I'm Native
American uh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh and Jewish." He was like
as saliva machine gun. As we were talking to him, I slowly zipped up
my coat to protect myself from the flying spit. It was almost like
being in the splash zone at Sea World (I've never actually been there
but I'm pretty sure it was almost the equivalent of Shamu splashing
the crowd.) we offered him a Book of Mormon and he muttered something
about seeing a Book of Mormon in the Batavia landfill. We told him to
have a nice day and he just walked away. That was fun. Batavia is an
interesting place. Lots of interesting characters.

Anyways, that's it for this week. We did a lot of service and
teaching. The work is moving forward! I love you all and thank you for
all the love and support and prayers. Have a great week! Talk to you
soon.

Elder Peters


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment